Job Title: Western Regional Director
Location: Work remotely located in the western region with access to transportation and close proximity to an airport.
About The Organization:
Established in 1996, the Preventing Tobacco Addiction Foundation (501c3) and its lobbying arm, Tobacco 21 (501c4), works to reduce the health and economic impact of tobacco use and nicotine addiction through education, advocacy, and policy change. PTAF/Tobacco 21 promotes policy and advocacy initiatives across the U.S. Success in this job will mean millions of addictions and premature deaths prevented. The organization is a tight-knit group of six individuals working remotely. Although PTAF is based out of Columbus, Ohio, the person filling this position would work remotely from one of the represented states.
The Western Regional Director will be responsible for education and outreach to other advocates, coalitions, stakeholders, and policymakers throughout the country with an emphasis on the Western U.S. (states west of the Mississippi River). The position is work-from-home (remote) contract employment with flexible hours of approximately 30-40 hours per week and requires travel (typically 3-5 days per month). All required travel expenses will be paid for by the organization. In partnership with the Executive Director, this position may help manage contracted lobbyists as needed.
Our primary policy initiative has been raising the minimum legal sales age for all tobacco products to 21, which is now the ‘law of the land’ – yet there is much more work to be done in our collective efforts to reduce the terrible toll of nicotine and tobacco use.
Our policy focus for 2020 and beyond will be:
- Statewide Tobacco 21: With the passage of the federal Tobacco 21 bill, many states are still introducing their own Tobacco 21 bills or considering ‘clean-up’ Tobacco 21 bills, standalone enforcement bills, and legislation to enhance state code and align with federal law.
- Tobacco Retail Licensing: Licensing has become an urgent policy need because of outdated enforcement provisions in state/city code and in anticipation of FDA enforcement of the Federal 21 law. Tobacco Retail Licensing will be PTAF’s highest policy priority.
- Comprehensive tobacco control policies: PTAF stands with other public health partners in promoting clean indoor air, nicotine and tobacco taxes, and prohibiting all flavored nicotine and tobacco products.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, help manage contracted lobbyists as needed for statewide and local initiatives.
Responsibilities and Duties Include:
- Report regularly and directly to the Executive Director.
- Collaborate with PTAF staff to share best practices, research, and provide assistance/coverage when needed.
- Actively participate in and maintain positive relationships with state coalition members.
- Work with local advocates, stakeholders, and policy makers to advance tobacco control.
- Directly educate and lobby legislative and thought leaders.
- Develop fact sheets and talking points on various tobacco control initiatives.
- Review and suggest edits for proposed tobacco control laws in various venues.
- Support and direct advocacy and lobbying activities of other associates.
- Write articles/blog posts for Op Eds, our website, or social media as needed
- Located in the western region with access to transportation and close proximity to an airport.
- Outgoing personality, professional demeanor, and a demonstrated ability to work well within coalitions.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work independently.
- At least three years of policy, lobbying, or public health experience is required; experience in tobacco control preferred but not required.
- Ability and willingness to travel several times per month.
- Ability to write coherently and persuasively, as well as prepare and deliver public testimony.
- A bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
Compensation: Hourly compensation based on experience.
Qualified applicants should send a letter of interest and a current detailed resume to Amanda Swenson Turner at Amanda.Turner@PTAF.org